Summer Melody

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Summer Melody
I can't resist making more prints.  I have been calling them monotypes, but that would be incorrect.  I apply the background paint to watercolor paper with my brayer.  Sometimes I mix colors or put the acrylic paint directly on the paper.  Then, I start adding details.  I did use a cardboard plate with multipe colors and printed by using a spoon to rub the backside of the paper.  I can lift the print to make sure that the paint has transfered.  Next, I added a mixture of colors to my bubblewrap plate and printed.  I highlighted the cardboard plate leaves, just painting half to get the purple edge on the leaves.  I stamped a sponge leaf design on the green leaves.  Next came a stamping of the long shapes with black, a plate I created.  Lastly, I printed the coneflower shapes, adding color to give depth.  This has at least three color applications.  I collaged a piece from another print thinking I needed more color at the bottom.  Now, I don't know a name for this method, but it is a combination of printing techniques.  Next up, a new cardboard base for my background.  Hmm, maybe something more sparse. Hmmm......


2 comments:

  1. Beth, you've really hit on something here. All those layers make for a fascinating piece of art, and I just love the colors you're using. Right up my alley...
    I'm framing my postcard this weekend and then will blog about it and point people here so they can see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The layering has added great depth to this image...well done!

    ReplyDelete